(TV) usb / turntable / tech follow-up question(s)

as we delve deeper into the usb turntable issue (and hence seem to become more
confused), i'm wondering:

does it make more sense to set up our analog system to do the transfers
(which, i think, leo recently did?)?  but whereas leo seemed to have some nice
equipment, i'm not so sure about our.  we have a technics turntable that's
probably 10-15 years old, and a sony receiver that's about 10 years old.  how
hard (or impossible?) would it be to set these up for vinyl-to-digital
conversion?