Re: (TV) usb / turntable / tech follow-up question(s)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> as we delve deeper into the usb turntable issue (and hence seem to become
> more
> confused), i'm wondering:
>
> does it make more sense to set up our analog system to do the transfers
> (which, i think, leo recently did?)?  but whereas leo seemed to have some
> nice
> equipment, i'm not so sure about our.  we have a technics turntable that's
> probably 10-15 years old, and a sony receiver that's about 10 years old.
>  how
> hard (or impossible?) would it be to set these up for vinyl-to-digital
> conversion?

Pursuant to what I just wrote... not hard at all.  Most computers have a
miniplug (1/4" stereo) input.  Radio Shack will supply you with a Y-adaptor
that will go from your tuner straight into that.  If you don't already have
software that'll process that, download Audacity for free.  > $10 solution.
 If you were planning on dropping $100 - $200 on a USB turntable, you should
probably use that on a more versatile I/O device that will let you digitize
other stuff... cassettes, 8-tracks, 1/4" tapes, whatever...

-Rex