Re: (TV) usb / turntable / tech follow-up question(s)

I agree with Rex that a USB turntable is not worth it, except for some limited
convenience value. Your old Technics is probably fine; I used my c. 1990
Technics (nothing special) to rip plenty of vinyl to CD (including most of
VANITY FAIR, although I did subsequent ham-handed noise reduction).

I ran RCA cables from the designated tape deck "out" jacks on my Onkyo receiver
into a Y adapter to connect to the stereo input jack on my PC's soundcard and
used CDWave to record it. This setup gave me the advantage of my receiver's
preamp for the turntable, and generated a pretty warm sound (in my opinion) when
recording. I used gold RCA cables from Radio Shack thinking it would help
produce the best sound, but I think this was overkill. Likewise, after ripping a
few records I replaced my stylus and needle, thinking my old one might be
worn-out, but it produced no noticeable improvement in sound. In other words: I
think a c. 1990 Technics turntable is just fine. And I really doubt a new USB
turntable is doing anything special, although it may have a built-in preamp
(removing the need for the receiver).

Have fun! Happy to provide help/tips etc. as you go.

--Phil