Re: Quite a Statement / RE: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Maurice Rickard <maurice@me.com> wrote:

> Interesting opinion, Andrew, and it's great to have some dissent. Certainly
> gives the list a certain _frisson_.
>
> Luna never really grabbed me. I liked G500 enough, though I didn't
> experience them as a force of nature, as Rex did. I agree with him, though,
> that Luna was "manicured" in comparison. (Great choice of word.)
>
> If we, appreciators of unappreciated geniuses, are pointing out
> unappreciated forces of nature, I have to represent for the mighty American
> rock music of Silkworm (RIP; strong heirs to both Neil Young/Crazy Horse and
> Television lineages), the thrilling hurricane of the band Come (both Zedek
> and Brokaw are fine players and songwriters; Chris has credibly spoken of
> them having attained "best live band in the world" status during their run),
> and the understated grandeur of Bedhead. Yes, members have gone onto other
> very good and even great bands, but those ones had something for the ages,
> if one had been there. (And in some cases, I was very lucky to be there.)
>  Maybe Come and Bedhead didn't release as much as Luna, but Silkworm
> probably did.

I obviously need to catch up on Silkworm.  I like Come, and even moreso Live
Skull, who are the top of the No Wave heap for me (excluding Sonic Youth,
who outlived No Wave by so many years that they may not even remember it)
and semi-recently finally heard Uzi, who were really damned onto something.
 The Live Skull guitar sound is heavy on dual leads, too, and while it has
atonalities like SY, it's nowhere near as skronky tone-wise... it's sort of
like the noise-rock that could have been, but wasn't.

Galaxie 500's "Ceremony" is better than the original (which is very great as
well)... I love how Warehm does the bass part on that Velvets-y guitar while
Naomi just plays... other stuff.  As if to say that Peter Hook's insanely
high bass part really wasn't high enough.  Actually, the whole recording
posits a "higher" New Order, in a different sense of the word...

-Rex