RE: Quite a Statement / RE: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham

Did you go and see them doing the galaxie 500 stuff in Glasgow at Stereo
recently Graham ? I was meant to be recording it but it turned out the missus
had already got something arranged for that night so I was stuck in with the
kids instead. The stuff on you tube looks great

> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:02:00 +0100
> From: gurquhart@madasafish.com
> To: tv@obbard.com
> CC: pobbard@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: Quite a Statement / RE: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham
>
> Interesting discussion. I enjoyed the Wareham book although it wasn't
> quite as bitchy as i'd been led to expect. One of the better and
> honestly written 'rock' memoirs though. Also saw the 13 Most Beautiful
> show in Dunfermline which was one of the best i've seen, especially when
> they encored with Tugboat and Strange.  Overall , personally prefer the
> Galaxie 500 albums over Luna.  Much more cohesive I think and an
> endearing shambolic-ness (is that a word?) about them.  I do like a lot
> of the Luna output but like Phil, feel you could condense it down to one
> or two really brilliant albums.  Of course MM and Adventure are both
> cohesive really brilliant albums :).  Also like the Dean and Britta albums.
>
> Graham
>

> On 29/04/2011 03:33, Phil Obbard wrote:
> > I got into Luna with PENTHOUSE (thanks to Verlaine's cameo); I lost
interest
> > with their "new" material at DAYS OF OUR NIGHTS but continued to see them
live
> > whenever possible, right up to their last 2 shows in 2005. I was at the
Bastille
> > Day show used for part of LIVE. Much more recently, I read Wareham's bio
(which
> > I enjoyed) and it led me to finally discover the pleasures of ROMANTICA,
which I
> > recommend.
> >
> > I still listen to Luna frequently. I was enough of a diehard to collect
many of
> > their 7" singles, compilation appearances, etc., even if still haven't
gotten
> > around to picking-up RENDEZVOUS or the last two Wareham/Phillips efforts.
Lots
> > of good stuff was hidden away on EPs, b-sides, soundtracks, etc, like
their
> > covers of "Ride into the Sun", "Indian Summer", "In the Flesh", "Neon
Lights",
> > the original "Fuzzy Wuzzy", and originals like "Dear Paulina".
> >
> > Anyway: I don't think Luna's recorded output is superior to Television's
and/or
> > the Velvet Underground. I think it's good but very inconsistent; I think
Wareham
> > had a more limited set of musical ideas than Verlaine or Reed/Cale and
stretched
> > out over 7 Luna albums it wears thin. While I too wish there were more to
> > Television's studio catalog, I think there's more musical (and lyrical)
ideas
> > packed into MARQUEE MOON (or TOM VERLAINE, or FLASHLIGHT) than 2-3 Luna
albums
> > combined.
> >
> > But, even when their albums were so-so, Luna was a great band to see live
(at
> > all stages in their line-up). They definitely share that with Television.
> >
> > --Phil
> >

> > ________________________________

It's
> > the Stairway to Heaven of 70s NYC punk. Great, yes. But played out. But
my
> > friends will all grin and nod like idiots when a Luna album cut like
Sideshow
> > by the Seashore comes on. I truly believe that Wareham and Sean Eden are
> > criminally underappreciated as guitar players.
> > Dean seems to be a polarizing figure with many and the haters will all
point
> > to his obvious influences and say he ripped them off (Television, the
Velvets,