Re: (TV) Re: Tom as a punk

I really have no interest in calling Television punk - it's not very informative
- but is Tom alone among "punks" in not liking the label? What did Blondie, the
Ramones, et al. think about being called "punk"? I don't know, but they might
also not have liked the label. Lots of people don't like being categorized. Were
Mink DeVille, the Tuff Darts, the Shirts, and other "CBGBs" bands regarded as
punk? I tend to view punk as a scene and an attitude that mutated (or was
forcibly mutated) into a style.

I generally find it hard to label almost any musical performer(s) I like when
someone asks me to describe them. Calling Richard Thompson a folk-rocker tells
you next to nothing. Calling the Mekons or X punk bands tells you next to
nothing. My sense is that the easier it is to categorize a band or musician, the
less interesting they tend to be.

Which "guy who used to be in Blondie" are you referring to?