RE: (TV) Really, Tom, I don't believe you

I second that exaggeration claim. I recall one article, probably in some U.K.
or U.S. magazine around the 1992 reunion, where Fred Smith told the
interviewer that he hadn't heard from Verlaine for half a year, or even a full
year, and when Verlaine finally got in touch he explained that he had spent
that half or full year doing guitar practice and -- and this I remember
clearly -- after this, he told Smith, he knew "every millimeter" of his
instrument.

Regarding The Fall and Mark E Smith's "Renegade": Television is briefly
mentioned in it, about lyrics-writing. A friend has burrowed it from me right
now, so I can't look up the exact phrasing. But if memory serves -- if Smith
hadn't any praise for Verlaine's form of poetry, it was at least a quite
neutral sentence. This in a book that otherwise is shock-full of foul-mouthed
broadsides against other artists.

Leif J, Sweden

> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 16:00:44 -0500
> Subject: Re: (TV) Really, Tom, I don't believe you
> From: russvr@gmail.com
> To: tv@obbard.com
>
> I reckon he's given over to wild flights exaggeration at times. I read
> another article somewhere - I think it might have been in the Signal
> to Noise magazine where he said he does practice late at night with
> the volume down low. But that article was from something like 5 years
> ago?
>

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Robin Dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "I don't identify with being a musician. I don't practice, I've never
practiced guitar in my life."

> > I can believe he doesn't identify with being a musician, maybe (certainly
he hasn't been acting like one lately). But if Tom never practiced guitar in
his life...he's an even bigger genius than anyone here gives him credit for.