Re: (TV) Polar Prize Winners

On Tue, 3 May 2011 11:28:36 +0000
leif joley <leifjoley@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I' not sure how famous The Polar Prize really is outside of Sweden --but
> domestically, we like to think about it like "The Nobel Prize of Music".
> Whatever the case -- this year's laureates have been announced today -- and
> they are both Tom Verlaine-affiliated: Patti Smith and The Kronos Quartet; the
> latter enseble collaborated with TV at least on the "Big Bad Love" soundtrack,
> although I'm not sure if they worked in the studio together, or if the Quartet
> just made overdubs on existing Verlaine recordings.

The Kronos Quartet also did a version of Marquee Moon:
http://hypem.com/#!/item/h5nb/Kronos+Quartet+-+Marquee+Moon

I believe it's from a 1990 compilation for the 40th anniversary of
Elektra records.

Side note - a couple of weeks ago I got to see a Gamelan ensemble, the
Kronos Quartet and the Bang on a Can All-stars perform at MIT in a
5-1/2 hour show (!) that ended with a complete performance of Eno's
Music for Airports.  It was superb.  At the end, it was mentioned that
"Eno only wrote 4 pieces for Airports so there's no more to play from
that, but as an encore, here's "Burning Airlines Give You So Much More."

Oh, and there was one more encore after that - "Everything Merges With
the Night."  What a great show.