Re: (TV) 33 1/3 book launch events and readings

I also just finished, and really enjoyed the book (and a lot was new to me).  I'm interested in reading any discussion of it here.  I'd start by saying the part that most stuck with me was the idea of avoiding "known reference points" in making the album.  Some of you, who may be more familiar with Tom's interviews over the year, may have already known about this.  But it was a new way of looking at MM for me -- it explains a lot, and, I think, speaks to why the album seems pretty timeless and still so fresh.

Anyway, I thought the book was very well written, and very interesting (even though you would think I had had enough of TV after so many years on this list).

After MM, I immediately started the 33 1/3 "Some Girls".  May seem unrelated, but actually is related in that it addresses the same era in NYC.  And, it is written by a colleage of Waterman's -- apparently they made the effort to address these two NY albums together.  Television gets referenced by page 3, with an extended quote from Lloyd.

One complaint -- where was the copy editor?  Both books have a number of typos (missing words in MM, wrong dates in SG) that could have been qickly caught and corrected.  To me, this really detracts from the imprint.  I haven't noticed this problem with 33 1/3 before now.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone.