(TV) How good a guitarist is Jimmy Rip?

This was an interesting little analysis. What do we know about the abilities
of Jimmy Rip (or "Ribb")? Is anyone familiar with his assignments outside the
Television/TV circle?

Doesn't it raise some questions, if there will be more touring and possibly a
new record?

- Is Rip merely a good session player and an imitator of any style, which
could mean a "hack musician"?

- Or does he have his own idiosyncrasies in playing? Could we expect an
addition of... something else than a Lloyd input? Not necessarily anything
better -- but different?

- Judging from the often excellent guitar-work he's done with Verlaine
(especially, in my opinion, on "Flash Light" and "Music For Films"), there's
more to his playing than just competence. Do we really expect Tom Verlaine to
just be happy with a "competent" co-player? Or, for that matter, Smith and
Ficca? Or do we expect these two adult men to not have a say at all, regarding
Television's future?

- Since the reunion LP credited all members for the music -- could we assume
the same if a new record will be released? Does Rip have any known composing
skills? For instance -- to me, a song like "Persia" seems to have been created
during group rehearsals. They still play it, and it emerged long before Rip
joined. If that song are to be included on a 4th record, will Lloyd be
credited as a co-writer? Will he be denied it? Will Lloyd, proud as he may be,
deny to be in any way associated with a 4th record?

Leif J, Sweden

> > The interview shows a more purposefulness in the band. The last item
showing them playing LJJ reveals new subtleties in a new arrangement.
Rip playing new rifs and adding atmospheric slide guitar. Rip can
imitate any guitarist he wants and it seems that he can play some
"Verlainisms" even better than Tom. We've been down this road before -
but maybe just maybe a new records might be in the offing.