Re: (TV) How good a guitarist is Jimmy Rip?

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 6:54 AM, leif joley <leifjoley@hotmail.com> wrote:

> - Is Rip merely a good session player and an imitator of any style, which
> could mean a "hack musician"?
>
> - Or does he have his own idiosyncrasies in playing? Could we expect an
> addition of... something else than a Lloyd input? Not necessarily anything
> better -- but different?

Jimmy's a fuckin'-a good guitarist.  Check out boots of Tom's solo shows.
 I've only heard bits here and there of his other work; the impression one
gets is that he's more versatile than Tom (as is Richard) but has a very
distinctive counterpoint style that he deploys when working with Tom (as
does/did Richard), and that style is different from Richard's: if anything,
it's more prone to call-and-response type fills, sort of dub-like flourishes
(especially on those killer live versions of "Clear It Away") and
Quine-style skronk, although he also does approach blues and roots styles
ever so slightly more frequently than Richard (who is of course brilliant at
that kind of thing but stayed well clear of it in Television).

Anyway, as a huge fan of Tom's solo records and live work with Jimmy, I
think we can expect a Television that is still very collaborative on the
guitar side and in inventive and exciting ways.  Having the band excited to
be working together again is more than half the battle.  It will be
interesting to see if Jimmy gets any major solos on record (I don't think he
did on Tom's solo stuff) but I think we can rest assured that Jimmy's
content with his role as defined in the band, which is a good thing.  If I
had to guess I'd say he's wanted the gig for years.

Actually, writing that bit about Richard above reminded me that there's
meant to be a new RFTT album with Richard soon... which is pretty damned
exciting!

-Rex