Re: (TV) richard comments-on-new-television-song

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i'm not sure richard can help it.  he's mentally ill.  whatever the name
> for
> it, he's fucked up.  i think he is dealing with forces beyond his control.
> grandiosity, mania...i think he's sick.  talented, but sick.  maybe, in
> time,
> he'll get this under control.  maybe not.  and who knows if anyone, himself
> included, really has the means to make a difference in that.
>
> who knows whether he does all he can to stay well.  but if not, he's just
> one
> of millions.  it's just that in his case, he has a public forum.  usually,
> it's just families, hospitals, and cops dealing with this stuff.

I know.  And I personally deal with people who wrestle with similar demons,
and I do my best to help them, and by and large they are spectacularly
successful in handling it.  So I have a great deal of sympathy with Richard
on that level, and I really hope he has people who are on hand to help with
that-- I really fear that he doesn't, based on what he's presenting to the
public right now, and the lack of support from others is where that battle
gets lost.

The part that's hard to forgive is the poor treatment of others.  I figure
his gudge against Tom may be well-earned.  He'd do well to move beyond it,
but maybe he can't, and that's fine.  But the part where he's potentially
hampering the careers of other musicians, some of whom have given so much to
him under less than ideal circumstances, is harder for me to excuse.

Almost definitely I'm taking it too personally. These guys have all given me
so much that I value that I have a hard time not doing so, and that there is
my own failing.  If I'm bugging anyone with all this, by all means ignore me
as you would anyone else who's got it all wrong.