From: Maurice Rickard
<maurice@me.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Thursday, 3 November 2011, 17:28
Subject: Re: (TV) 2 Qs on Effects (Guitar or Other?) On Song "Brief
Description"

Hi Leo!

Tapping: sounds to me like Ficca doing some light rim
shots and a
light press roll or something, sent through a plate reverb.  Or
possibly Tom
tapping on a guitar with a piezo pickup or very microphonic
pickups, again
sent through a plate reverb.  But the pitch-changing one sounds
like pressure
on a drum head.  Billy's done that in "Torn Curtain."
Organ-like sound in 12,
it could easily be a guitar through an amp with the
tremolo cranked up.  There
might be a bit of vibrato on there; I know Tom's
talked about using amps with
"real vibrato."  Or maybe he's using an EHX HOG
or POG, which add harmonics to
the sound, making for very organ-like
tonalities.  Very low in the mix, so
it's hard to tell. Certainly there's a
lot of sustain, which on a guitar could
be anything from careful
amplification, to compression, to non-microphonic
feedback, or even E-bow.
Hard to know for sure, but not way outside the usual
bag of tricks.

Best,
On Nov 02, 2011, at 10:00 PM, Leo Casey