Re: (TV) Tom interview from 2006

Phil wrote:
> Again, a little late to respond, but: To me, FLASH LIGHT sounds like a
> product
> of its time -- overly compressed and FM-ready, for one, unlike the "open"
> sound of some other Verlaine recordings (.e.,g WARM & COOL, or most of his
> debut, parts of WORDS). But that's OK -- being a product of 80s production
> isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would be interested to hear a remixed
> FLASH
> LIGHT, with a slightly less compressed/cluttered sound, but I am not
> holding
> my breath. (Same goes for DREAMTIME, btw).

Yeah, I would agree with that. I always felt there were just two faults with Flash Light (and I think it's just about Verlaine's best, and one of the greatest albums of all time). The CD version (at least) is slightly lacking in clarity, and would benefit from remixing/remastering. I think you don't get that feeling from the vinyl version, which is how Tom wanted us to hear it, though I haven't had a turntable for years...

(I know, I should look for a secondhand turntable, but nearly all my vinyl albums were stolen or lost; such is life.)

And the other fault? It should have had "Anna" rather than "Cry Mercy Judge", the only weak song.

--JoeT