Re: (TV) Tom and UFO's/SciFi/Guitar skills

Frankly, I sometimes wonder how good a guitarist Tom Verlaine really is.
Apparently, he can play the best solos known to mankind...

Isn't that enough for someone to be considered a good guitarist? If the bar for being a good guitarist is "able to play solo as well as Richard Thompson," it's going to be a very short list.

When I first heard a solo show-on one of about two dozen shows that I lost when the hard drive I was storing them on died-I was disappointed that the guitar playing wasn't more intricate, but I don't think that's what he was going for. It sounds like he just wanted a solid rhythm guitar backing and he does that well. It doesn't sound exceptional but good rhythm guitar playing shouldn't be dismissed.

Here's what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XThKwfsMDpQ

It looks like he's playing in standard tuning whereas Richard Thompson's solo material is mostly in altered tunings. Has Tom ever played in anything other than standard?