Re: (TV) End-of-year Review

 I have the War on Drugs record (as well as their las
t) and I like it, but it seems to have severely divided
the opinions of my friends. There is a school of thought t
hat I can't dismiss that at its core it's really conservativ
e, lacking in any edge, and more akin to Tom Petty or (e
eek!) the eagles than anything one would call "modern."  The
 question haunts me, every time I put the record on in m
y car...again.
Things I loved this year:

Ultimate Painting
- s/t .   TV listers will probably love this.
Alvvays -
s/t. Toronto quasi shoegaze band, great vocals.
Honeyblood - s
/t.  Amazing noise, two girls from Glasgow making quite the
racket, and great songwriting. Like a Glaswegian all girl Japa
ndroids, only sharper.
Solstafir - Otta -- this is the most
interesting album I heard all year, an Icelandic band ghettoiz
ed as a black metal band, but which complely transcends any
classification.
Mogwai - Teenage Exorcists (my single of the y
ear)
Robyn Hitchcock - The Man Upstairs
Ben Watt - Hendra

Pete Fij & Terry Bickers - Broken Heart Surgery

 Eagulls
- s/t. Like listening to Red Lorry Yellow Lorry while being
rolled downhill in a 55 gallon drum.
Damon Albarn - Every
day Robots (may have come out in 2013, not sure).