Re: Re. (TV) Television

I'm just catching up on the list, so forgive me for the delayed response on
 this topic. (Glad to see Dennis not gone, and hoping Jay is or will find h
is way back.) I agree with almost everything Rex writes below, and would ad
d a few points of my own.
- First, I don't think Television's influence in terms of how many bands ha
ve borrowed from their sound (or in terms of which band member's contributi
on were more borrowed from) is a terribly important critical criterion. Sur
ely being (nearly) inimitable is as or more important - it indicates just h
ow special the "magic" a band had is. That said, I can name at least one ex
cellent band not yet mentioned who took a fair amount of inspiration from T
elevision's two-guitar approach, and that's the recently reunited (yay!) Sl
eater-Kinney.

- About Tom's personality: I've got no experience with Tom personally, and
just a little with Richard. But I suspect Tom is a difficult guy at some ti
mes and in some contexts, and perfectly nice in others - just like most hum
an beings. He shouldn't be labeled with a broad brush. And if we're going t
o give Richard some leeway in his behavior because he's bipolar, we should
cut Tom some slack too - just because someone doesn't have a (known?) diagn
osable disorder doesn't mean they have their behavior entirely under contro
l. And while I agree as a fan that it's aggravating that Tom doesn't seem t
o want to produce much new music or records, it's not as if he _owes_ any o
f us anything.

- Just to add to what Rex said about Tom's solo material, I'd much rather s
ee a Tom Verlaine Band consisting of Tom, Jimmy, Billy, and Fred that playe
d both Television and Tom solo stuff than the current conformation that see
ms limited (by what exactly?) to Television and covers. It's not as if the
three other guys are incapable of learning Tom's solo material! (Heck, they
've each played on some of it.) Perhaps it's a less commercial proposition,
 but if they can play unrecorded songs like "Persia," I see no reason that
they can't play, say, "There's a Reason" or "At 4 A.M." (to name just two I
'd love to hear live). It would bring a freshness and perhaps a spontaneity
 that seems a bit lacking in recent performances. I never thought I'd pass
up the chance to see Televison, but I skipped the recent New York shows in
part because I felt like I knew what I'd be getting.

-- Jesse