RE: (TV) 'The Funniest Thing ' by Tom Verlaine/Who's responsible For Cheap Synths on 'Scientist'?

?RE: > Depressing in what respect though, Leo?

Well as much of a misanthrope TV can be at times, I gotta agree with his
hatred of the mixing of his 1986 and 1990 solo albums.

E.g., T,V.: "[Fontana] just had crazy ideas about commerciality, which is
basically just mixing and mixing and mixing, and this is the horror of the
whole modern record business - getting the guy [Paul O'Duffy] who mixed the
latest hits from blah-blah to mix your record and thus ensure it will be
played on the radio when the mix will have nothing to do with what you
actually want or are doing."

Million dollar question: On the song 'The Scientist Writes A Letter', was it
T.V. who was responsible for the '[t]he tidal washes of cheap-sounding
synthesizer'? Or was it O'Duffy and/or Fontana?

Given T.V. was/is predisposed with perfectionism (and total control) of the
music he created. I think it was inevitable he'd hate how they mixed his
1986 and 1990 albums.

As a Commentor to the original Blog link (see belowe) wrote: "I suppose the
most open-minded way to approach the mixing/remixing issue is just to accept
that, however ill-matched the pairing of Verlaine and O'Duffy seems, Fontana
were just trying to give his sound a contemporary gloss with a view to
building his audience. And Verlaine was always going to hate that, as
someone with more interest than many artists in the micro-details of how his
records sounded.".
https://longandwindingtoad.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/96-the-funniest-thing-by
-tom-verlaine/

Leo

PS: Regarding bad mixes: I recently obtained "Golden Years: David Bowie
Versus KCRW" [2011], which has the original mix of the Single-version plus
four different mixes by DJs at radio sta KCRW. All 4 are probably four of
the worst pieces of music I have ever heard in my life (and the original is
a great! song.)

PPS: I hate the production on the album "The Wonder", but love the website
:>)