(TV) greg reviews around

The first bars were a relief in that it was a relief
to hear something new from Verlaine after all this
time.

I listened to the cd in it's entirity, which is a
rarity in my life these days.  The end result, a mix
of happiness and disappointment.

The disappointment:  A lot of Around sounds like
Verlaine and co. spent two or three days noodling in a
home studio and then he cut out pieces that he liked
so they are not conceived songs, rather songlets.
Lots of great ideas that sound unfinished (i.e.
Balcony).  I get this impression by the considerable
number of songs that fade in and fade out.

Soundwise, it has a sort of spooky qulaity on most of
the songlets (lots of reverb on the guitars, space
between notes, etc.) that I like.  I like the sound, I
like the guitars, bass and drums.  The quality is good
and the playing excellent.  Wagon Wheel (or whatever
it is called) doesn't fit imo.

Overall: Would I buy this if Verlaine's name wasn't
attached to it?  Not likely.  Further listens, it has
grown a bit but a bit only.

Rating: C

greg

Note: I like SaOT much better.  Possible review to
follow later this week.

greg