Re: (TV) OT: Kids doing King Crimson

On 5/24/06, Russ <russvr@pop.nwnexus.com> wrote:

> We were bad and then sometimes we were actually kind of tuneful. We
> called ourselves "Relic" - like after the Pink Floyd album of similar
> name.

Ah, first band names.  I... don't remember our name... hee...

my amplifier , a 12-watt
> Fender Princerton Reverb, was too underpowered to get any good
> sustain/distortion; and I  played a Fender Mustang, which sucked a lot;
> and the drummer was too loud for our cruddy little amps,

I used my dad's Fender Twin and the same Tele Deluxe I use as my backup to
this day... but did I find a way to make 'em sound bad?  You bet your sweet
ass I did!

> We gave up on covers because we didn't feel good enough. So
> we just played our own songs. We were an odd band, sort of punk (because
> we were still learning a lot) before any of us had heard any punk. Ah,
> them 70s.

Conversely we all thought we wrote great songs but we all hated each other's
material (or more likely just each other) so we were stuck with covers.
Awful, awful, covers.  Years later almost the same lineup got together on
spring break when we were all away at various colleges, wrote and learned
five original songs, and we were almost good.  Almost.

-Rex