Re: (TV) rap-beat of the street/beat of the heart..it's B-E-A-T....../ Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.....pining for the 70's.

>Michael's posting shows an admirable generosity and makes me want to
>reevaluate my rash pronouncement that rap "blows". There certainly is a lot
>of music I know zilch about, and, yup, rap is one. The temptation in this
>medium to blurt out strong opinions is hard to pass up sometimes,
>knowing/hoping it will provoke a discussion just like this one. I'll try to
>listen with more open ears in the future. This has definitely been a thought
>provoking argument.
>Scott

    When Rap first emerged in the late 70's I think that everyone felt a bit
threatened by it. Afterall, it was all about attitude. Urban attitude, a
modern
day inner city blues genre. Black folks speaking their minds. At the same
time,
you had "Punk Rock" also a threatening force. I dare Mick jagger to tell me
that
he didn't feel the slightest bit insecure when Johnny "Rotten" Lydon and Joe
Strummer
didn't call him an old fart. It certainly put the Stones' backs against the
wall to
where they had no choice but to make a great record, which I think they did
in
"Some Girls". But could you imagine if someone said that all punk rock
sounds the
same? If you took the some closed minded AOR fan and played him/her for the
first
time The Pistols, the Clash, and say the Buzzcocks, their first impression
might be
"they all sound the same, loud, fast, and out of tune". And I could see why
they
might think/hear that. To me it was the attitude, the spirit if you will
that really
made it all very exciting. I couldn't stand going to the big arena shows to
watch Robert
Plant wiggle his arse while Pagey did one of his self-indulgent mindless
guitar(Yaaawwwnnn)
solos. The emotion was all gone by this point. The "Punk Rock" thing made
music exciting
again. Something for someone like me relate to. I could never relate to
arena shows.

    I don't want to sound like I'm separating the 2 genre's here, Iam
definitely not.
All I'm saying is that while most of us may not have been able to relate to
what rappers
were rapping to, it doesn't mean that we could feel the attitude just like
we could
feel the attitude in what the Punks were saying. Just like with the blues
way back
when. I have no idea what it's like to be pickin' a bail of cotton, or what
being on the
chain gang is like, but I can certainly feel the frustration the singer is
trying
to convey. If I can't then what business do I have listening to music. To
me, it's
all about feelings and emotions. If you have no feeling, no emotion then
you're
just a machine. Thanks guys again for letting me ramble. M T C