Re: (TV) LAUGHNER

What a travesty that this radio recording is lost. The Robert Johnson song
he plays on the end of Take The Guitar Player For A Ride (Me and the Devil
Blues, I think?) is gorgeous. I think it was recorded in his room just
before he died. Also great is the instrumental slide piece, I've forgotten
the title, but very Leo Kottke/John Fahey. He had obviously very eclectic
taste.  If anyone has a copy of Peter's record on Koolie records would they
ever consider making a tape of it? You'd be doing a great service.
Scott

----------
>From: GaryM <garym@earthlink.net>
>To: tv@obbard.com
>Subject: Re: (TV) LAUGHNER
>Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2000, 11:15 PM
>

> MICHAEL CARLUCCI wrote:
>

>> >Is there any known or rumored early TV recordings featuring Peter Laughner
>> >on guitar?  He reportedly played with them for a short time when Lloyd
>> >quit, left or soemthing.
>> >

>>     To my knowledge there are no TV tapes with Laughner. There is a tape
>> from
>> a place called Picadilly from Ohio in '75 where Laughner was rumoured to
>> have
>> played on. I can't hear him if he is. Sounds like Lloyd throughout.
>
> Always enjoy talking about & reading about Peter - the man was a fucked up
> genius with the guitar!
>    Peter DEFINITELY was not playing with TV at the Picadilly - he was busy
> recording the show(the copy of the few tunes I have is on a compilation tape I
> got through him back then, which also has early TV stuff on it) in
anticipation
> of joining 'em in New York, which he also definitely didn't do. He DID try to
> jump onstage with the Patti Smith Group, but Patti's brother pushed him
> offstage.
>    There's precious little Peter around, & one of the best things I ever heard
> no longer exists. Back in the mid-70s, WMMS used to do a snhow called The
Coffee
> Break Concert, where a guest would come in & do an hour long acoustic set.
> Peter's was heartbreakingly beautiful!  After Peter died, I was able to get a
> reel-to-reel copy from 'MMS to play on the 3 hour tribute to Peter I did on
WRUW
> & played it in it's entirety.Did a great version of John Lee Hooker's "Gonna
Get
> Me A Gun" with the intro "If you think acoustic music is laid back, then I'm
> gonna get a gun & lay back the back of your head!) Soon after, it was ripped
off
> with my portible TEAC stereo cassette recorder. As far as I know, I've never
> heard of a copy of either the Coffee Break
> Concert or my radio tribute showing up on anything.
>      Any of you ever hear of the LP Peter Laughner, on Koolie Records? Put out
> by Peter's friend Dick Clark (who he dedicated Dear Richard to). Came out in
'82
> & has some songs & performances not on Take The Guitar Player... Side 1:
Sylvia