Re: (TV) Keith, Sterling, and Fred "Sonic" Smith

Hi,
I didn't mean to say that either of them couldn't or didn't ever do vibrato. I
meant that in their style as a whole, it's not that significant (though Quine
seems to use it more in his more recent work than he used to). I love Quine's
work for things like 'Waves of Fear' and 'Blank Generation', not for his
ability to introduce subtle nuances of tone! Similarly, what I remember as
being most distinctive about RT's playing is his 'chordal' solos -- applying
acoustic playing styles to the electric guitar.
sam

MICHAEL CARLUCCI wrote:

>     Sporry to contradict Sam, but Quine and Richard Thompson both have very
> fine
> and unique vibratos. Both, ironically do it when the push up on a string,
> then
> hold and sustain the note and add their vibrato. Some vibratos are more
> intense than
> others. Beck, Hendrix, and Clapton have some of the most intense vibratos,
> while
> folks like Thompson, Quine, and Verlaine are subtle but are there all the
> same.
> Again, to some a vibrato may mean nothing and that's fine for them, but to
> me
> it means everything. Though I can appreciate Lou Reed(also one of my
> favorites)
> who has no vibrato at all. If you ask me to compare Kramer to  Fred Smith,
> give me
> Fred any day. He had it goin' on in every aspect. M T C

Sam Inglis
Assistant Editor,
Sound On Sound Magazine.
Tel +44 (0)1954 789888.