(TV) Clapton, Green, Taylor

To open that whole EC can of worms again.... About a month ago, an old friend of mine and I got each other birthday presents (born about 6 hours apart in the same hospital, actually), and we got each other...the same thing. John Mayall's _London Blues_ 2 CD collection. I've been listening to it a lot over the last few days. It covers highlights from the pre-Clapton period up through some tunes from _Laurel Canyon Blues_. Listening to this, I can see what the fuss was about with Clapton, before he lost his edge. "Telephone Blues" and "All Your Love" are really good.

I'd have to say, though, that Green really makes the disc. "So Many Roads," "Dust My Blues" (yup, "blues" and not "broom" on the jacket), and "A Hard Road" really impressed me. "The Supernatural" hasn't quite stuck with me yet, though. Mayall's really damn good, too.

On a completely separate topic, I happened to catch one of the tunes from the new Dirty Three release, _What You Love, You Are_, and it was thrilling. Sad, beautiful instrumental music of guitar, violin, and drums. IIRC, at least one of these guys was in Nick Cave's Bad Seeds. Very promising.

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/