(TV) Re: MM Vinyl v. CD

I have to be counted among those in the MidFi camp.  I've never had more
than $1000 invested in a stereo system (though the _number_ of systems
I have is surprising!).  I've heard some great stereos, and have noted
differences, but not enough to make me spend 15x-20x more than I have.

I'm not Neil Young; I don't really hear the digital artifacts in CDs;
it takes a much lower sampling rate to become audible to me.  As far
as I'm concerned, this is a good thing.  People I know with the huge
systems seem to focus too much on the reproduction of the music and
not enough on the music itself.

Me: "Wow!  That's a blistering guitar solo!  What emotion!"

Gearhead: "Yes, but there's an odd peak at 8k that I have to equalize
out, and you can hear some breakup in the middle..."

What I love about CDs is that I have a single thing to play wherever I
want, including the car.  Back with vinyl and cassette decks in the car
(and even CDs before CDs in car stereos became common), what you listened
to in the car was either stuff you liked so much you made a tape of it,
or (more frequently) stuff that you thought was good enough to tape
from a friend but not enough to buy.  Playing the same physical thing
in the home system, the car and even the CD at work has really made a
big difference in what I listen to.

"Michael Olcsvary" <olcsvary@icehouse.net> wrote:
> This vinyl vs. CD debate reminds me of the tubes vs. transistors guitar
> camps, and I'll just point out that Richard Lloyd's using a Line 6 Flextone
> these days.

I *can* hear the difference in amps in a live setting.  My Ampeg
Reverberocket II sounds worlds different than the Peavey I occasionally
play through.  Whether those nuances make it through the recording
process and survive reproduction is another thing entirely.

I believe it was Phil Spector who always made a point of listening to his
mixes at some point through shitty speakers to see how it'd come across in
cars and in the bedrooms of teens across the country.  A wise thing to do,
I always thought.