Re: (TV) MM Vinyl v. CD; and Lester Bangs

HeathBiter@aol.com wrote:
> Bangs didn't like Television.  He admitted
> that everybody he knew constantly raved about what an amazing band they were,
> but he just didn't get it.  They reminded him of the Grateful Dead.  He also
> had some problems with Verlaine.  Something along the lines of thinking that
> Verlaine was conceited and full of himself, and even though they'd met
> several times, Verlaine always pretended to not know him.  They'd be standing
> next to each other and Verlaine would pretend not to see him.  At one point,
> an antagonistic Bangs approached Verlaine on the street and asked if Tom knew
> who he was.  Apparently Verlaine answered "Yeah, yeah.  You're Lester."

It's hard to separate a personal dislike of the musician from a dislike
of the music sometimes.  I understand the Dead reference; having heard
some of the early jams which went on for a long time, I see where the
analogy comes from.  TV's style was also very different from the approach
of the day as defined by groups like The Ramones.  That said, Bangs
could certainly appreciate music more than 2:50 long, and I think he might
have come around if a) he hadn't died and b) Tom hadn't been such a prick.
In fact, I think you can expand b) above to cover a lot of why Television
didn't become more well-known.