RE: (TV) carl theodor dreyer (plus bonus _shadow of the vampire_ review)

> But I still think there's some merit in my theory
> that Lean was heavily influenced by the motor cycle
> segments in Dreyer's  "They Caught the Ferry",
oh no, i wasn't challenging that.  i still haven't
seen _lawrence of arabia_ (mostly because i can't
watch it on tv and am never around when it plays in
the theatre) and this was my first time seeing tctf,
but i will keep this in mind when i get a chance to
broaden my horizons into seeing some of lean's films.
all's i was doing was pointing out that dreyer and
murnau were two very different people.  ^_-

incidentially, speaking of murnau: just got the chance
to see _shadow of the vampire_ last night.  while i
don't want to lead the list too far off the subject at
hand, i did want to briefly say that it's worth
checking out when it hits the second run theatre.  on
the good side, the film looks gorgeous thanks to
lovely, panoramic cinematography that melts from
creepy, contrasty widescreen images to the blocked in
screen of early silents, coupled with gothy production
and costume design; and willem dafoe was great in his
portrayal as orlock (and the fantabulous brit comedian
eddie izzard was hysterical in a small turn).  the bad
points were that the character of murnau was a shrill
caricature of the real person to the point of being
offensively inaccurate, the film wasn't campy or fun
enough to support its thesis, and izzard, while great
in his small role, just wasn't used enough.  (yes, i
know, can't have it both ways and all that.)  anyway,
just wanted to throw my two pennies in.

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"i'm very happy.  it's the songs that are depressed."
--kristin hersh