Re: (TV) Double Exposure vs. ...

At 11:26 PM -0500 2/21/01, Dennis wrote:
I'm not sure proficient is the word to use to describe Richard's playing.
But it certainly was interesting.
I'm definitely a Fred Smith fan, as anyone that has heard me play can tell
you, but I'm also a Richard Hell fan.
Fred has told me he liked what Hell had done also. The band certainly
tightened up with Fred playing bass though.

Coming somewhat late to the February _MOJO_ as I have, both Richard Lloyd and Fred have very complimentary things to say about the sensibility behind Richard Hell's playing (one of 'em compares him to McCartney, of all people!), but acknowledge that he wasn't exactly an anchor for the band.

And yeah, after listening to the EP and _Blank Generation_ extensively, he is really inventive. I get the sense he really didn't care too much about what he was inventing, but inventive nonetheless.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/