(TV) A wider circle for Laughner

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:28:58 EST
From: Alsnow4750@aol.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Time for a new thread?

In a message dated 2/20/01 4:01:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
esgregory@uswest.net writes:

<<
 a shitload of p. laughner boots (thanks, steve lippincott!)
 gang of 4- 100 flowers bloom >>

how can we get to hear laughner?

Sure, I'd  welcome trade or B&P (off list) -its time for the man to get
wider appreciation/credit rather than being slogged off as a
self-destructive "what-if" (even tho you probably needed the patience of a
saint or be on valium to be around him).  And yet he influenced a lot of
people (and not just in Cleveland). Amazingly, there are some 14 sessions
(rehearsal and live) with Peter (and various line-ups) floating now in a
(seemingly) tight trader circle. I only have 4 sessions, myself. There was a
commercial release that was a good overview but its o/p ("Take the Guitar
Player For A Ride", Tim Kerr Records). Even with the preponderance of cover
songs in his set lists (he does Prove It, Venus, Heroin, Fire Engine, Baby's
On Fire for instance) he was still truly an original.  His own songs, "Life
Stinks", "Amphetamine", "Ain't it fun", etc were jagged, incandescent,
sloppy visions. The best Ubu (to me) is the laughner era; the Hearthan
singles (Final Solution, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, etc) with the
Herman/Laughner crunching guitars roaring off the rails (wallowing and
ascending simultaneously). Even "Modern dance" (post-Peter) had his ghost
all over it. And all of that is in print.
Steve