Re: (TV) i mean cookies

Scott, I'll accept your arguably cheap shot: Ok, I guess "female" is a
patronizing word. I won't use it again. But it's always seemed to me that
outlandish XX artists (Madonna, Sinead) generally get much more media attention
than outlandish XY artists (Klaus Nomi, Marc Almond, etc.). If nothing else,
the relative rarity of artists with two XX chromosomes must make them more
high-profile, I would think.

Well, anyhow, my opinion doesn't change if I call Patti Smith simply a "ranting
artist". As for your example, I'm not really 'gaga' about Lou Reed after 1970
(before which he was basically unknown), I don't think Iggy was particularly
steeped in 'art rock' in his Stooges days (outside of a few Coltrane records) -
and does Iggy show disdain for his fans?? -  and please find me a Hell or
Verlaine interview as 'ranting' as this from the respective period directly
following the release of their 'major' works:

"I consider [writing] a real physical act. When I'm home writing on the
typerwriter, I go crazy. I move like a monkey. I've wet myself, I've come in my
pants writing... Instead of shooting smack, I masturbate - fourteen times in a
row..." -- Patti Smith, shortly after the release of HORSES

Sounds more like Madonna or Sinead than Tom Verlaine or Joni Mitchell, but that
could just be my 'patronizing' read.

(As I said, I knew this topic would be a "Molotov cocktail"... I just didn't
expect the cheap 'patronizing' shot to come so quickly... anyhow, I'm done
now).

--Philip