Re: (TV) i mean cookies

In message <B6C451D3.28AA0%scott.aldrich@worldnet.att.net>, SCOTT
ALDRICH <scott.aldrich@worldnet.att.net> writes
> Tom
>Verlaine? Richard Hell? Iggy Pop? Lou Reed? Has the world ever seen such a
>bunch of self-important, precious "artistes" revelling in their oh-so
>artiness while still wanting to be rock stars, all the while showing disdain
>for their fans?

This is absolutely spot-on. Yet, as you say, we line up anyway.
(Actually, not certain I'd put Iggy in there with the others, but...).
When the Television reunion festival gigs get underway, who will get all
the press? Mr V. I suspect. Yet he's the only one who seems to accept
adoration without having to work for it. I remember a while ago someone
on the list (Mr. Carlucci, maybe? A source close to the various members,
anyway), in answer to a question on what Bill Ficca might be doing these
days, sneering "Oh, Ficca will play with anybody!" Well, yes. He's a
musician. That's what he does. Presumably he can't afford to hide away
and be mysterious.

And, of course, I'll be lining up to see Television and my belief that
Verlaine is a genius of sorts who reinvented the electric guitar will
remain intact, and all semblance of common sense will vanish when the
first song starts playing and that is, of course, how it should be.

And we should certainly extend to Patti Smith the latitude than gets
extended to the above-mentioned guys. I remember 1975 all too well -
Richard Hell and Lou Reed and Iggy were _encouraged_ to be extreme.
Patti Smith was more of a revelation than they ever were; not musically,
maybe, but... well, put it like this: it was a lot easier (read: more
"acceptable") for Tom Verlaine not to be Bryan Ferry than it was for
Patti Smith not to be Joni Mitchell. I can still remember seeing Patti
Smith on British TV in the 70's singing "Jimi Hendrix was a rock'n'roll
nigger! Keith Richards is a rock'n'roll nigger!" Crass, maybe, but it
took more nerve than painting your face white and pretending to shoot up
on stage.

And "Pumping (My Heart)" is a terrific song. As is "Free Money" and
"Revenge" and "Citizen Ship" and "Gloria" and.... oh, quite a few
others, actually.

And it's very late on this side of The Pond and I may not be making too
much sense here...!