Re: (TV) Rock Element

In a message dated 3/2/01 3:53:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, secretX@webtv.net
writes:

>  Do you think Verlaine should give up the rock element of his music just
>  because he is over fifty? Give up the rock element and retire to
>  soundtracks? That's how Tom's been thinking lately. He has an agent
>  trying to find soundtrack work for him. I think he should put a band
>  together

This may sound pretentious, but personally, I think Tom should do whatever
moves him. I would love to see Tom put a band together (whether it's a
Television reunion or a solo band), record a rock & roll album and hit the
road. However, if that doesn't inspire him, then he should do what does.

However, if the reason is simply the "over 50" aspect, then I think he ought
to reconsider. The fact that rock tends to be dominated by younger artists
doesn't mean that anyone else shouldn't record.

Frank Zappa did (arguably) his best tour at age 48, and had the band not
self-destructed, they would have been on the road for years.

Pete Townshend's 55 and The Who's 2000 tour was absolutely incendiary. No
joke there, the band just blew the doors off everywhere they played.

Bottom line: Age shouldn't be the issue, inspiration should be.

    -- Owen (who's finally logged in again with the older, non-HTML CS2000)

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg
http://shadowy.brainiac.com (The Shadowy Page On A Shadowy Web)

"I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn"
    -- Neil Innes, "Protest Song"