From: greggluvox [mailto:murderedman@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 7:34 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: RE: (TV) On the other hand/Blasphemy

* I saw only the 92 show (in NY) and was blow away by Richard's guitar. I
realize that we're all living in Tom's brilliant futureworld vision but do
you really think he could Play Circles around Lloyd? 'Write' circles, maybe.
Please list examples (send me boot CDRs if you have to {haha sorry} I just
think as a guitarist Tom is more of a noodler and Richard has real chops -
but please, prove it. Sorry bad English I'm in a rush; I have a lot to say
but no time. Having two 'leads' can turn into a messy cockrock nightmare. It
is to Tom's credit and taste that he holds back. Also recently a friend in
New York was telling me long distance about how he hated Ficca's playing
with the songwriter Lach - he said he was a lousy hitter, imprecise - I
didn't want to hear it. Probobly more Lach's fault (sorry Lach) And also
(shoot I'm really late now) the Subway commercial is a great idea - I'll
have that image in my head all night.
Still kicking myself for missing Tom's LA show.

>>]On Behalf Of Casey, Leo J
>> I was always very impressed and amazed and at how fantastic Verlaine's
solo stuff on record and live at these dozen or so shows sounded without
Richard Lloyd; how Tom didn't need Richard to sound great as much as Richard
needed/needs Tom.

Little did they realize that Tom had written all the songs, arranged all the
musical parts (even many of Fred's bass parts! [see interview in which F.
Smith talks about this, I'll supply it if you want] )  etc., etc.

If anything Tom's too modest, in 1992-93 reunion he literally gave Richard
the spotlight.  But don't think for a moment that Tom couldn't play circles
around Richard if he wanted/was motivated.  Don't let me be misunderstood;
I love Lloyd's playing, he can be fantastic (e.g., "Ain't That Nothin'";
"1880 or So") he has great technique, but he's not in the same league as
Tom--- nobody plays with as much feeling and subtlety as Tom.
Richard's  a much nicer, friendlier person compared to Tom who's  maybe a
crypto-misanthrope,
As long as I'm going to be punished and verbally pummeled I'll throw in
something else to really piss people some off:  Jay Dee Daugherty on Tom's
solo tours was a much superior drummer to Billy Ficca--- those solo tours
rocked like no other music I ever saw/heard, and a lot of that was due to
Jay Dee.

Greggbot
http://home.earthlink.net/~murderedman