Re: (TV) On the other hand/Blasphemy

At 9:35 AM -0400 4/13/01, Leo wrote:

If anything Tom's too modest, in 1992-93 reunion he literally gave Richard the spotlight. But don't think for a moment that Tom couldn't play circles around Richard if he wanted/was motivated. Don't let me be misunderstood; I love Lloyd's playing, he can be fantastic (e.g., "Ain't That Nothin'"; "1880 or So") he has great technique, but he's not in the same league as Tom--- nobody plays with as much feeling and subtlety as Tom.

I certainly haven't seen anywhere near as many Television/Verlaine/Lloyd shows as Leo: Television once, at the Academy in NY on the '92 reunion tour, Tom once on tour at the Paradise in Boston in 1980-81, Tom doing the instrumental thing with Jimmy Ripp at the Middle East in Cambridge a couple of years ago, and _I think_ I saw Richard with John Doe's band in NY (at Ron Wood's old club?). But based on those experiences, my impression is that comparing Tom and Richard really is a case of apples and oranges, or at least tangelos and oranges, no matter how closely allied they are as players. In '92 Richard blew me away; he was a technically stunning guitarist, virtuosic and a real firebrand. I too realized that I'd given Richard too little credit over the years. Tom was more meditative and thoughtful; his playing seemed to concentrate more on the attack of a single note, less on speedy runs. I don't remember much about Tom in '80-81 (just that I was happy to see him play), but the same attitude seemed to characterize his playing at the Middle East. Listen to "Warm and Cool," and you'll know what I'm talking about.

As long as I'm going to be punished and verbally pummeled I'll throw in something else to really piss people some off: Jay Dee Daugherty on Tom's solo tours was a much superior drummer to Billy Ficca--- those solo tours rocked like no other music I ever saw/heard, and a lot of that was due to Jay Dee.

This also strikes me as an unfair comparison: if "superior" means "rocked harder," then I've no doubt you're right. But by that argument, Buddy Miles was a better drummer with Hendrix than Mitch Mitchell was, which is not my opinion at least: Jimi _swung_ a lot more with Mitchell. Billy's always been a relatively light, even jazzish (I wouldn't go so far as to say jazzy) drummer, which has served very well on a lot of Television tunes. (Who was it who said that Television's sound was the sound of Billy Ficca's high-hat?)

By the by, this is my first posting to this list, which I joined when I heard news of the TV reunion shows. I've been on the Richard Thompson and Mekons lists for many years; I recognize Joe Hartley's name from one of those lists.

- Jesse