(TV) Re: jazzmasters...now playing... & tom verlaine in the dead?

hi
i usually lurk but here's a few comments.

in a fit of thurston moore/tom homage, i picked up a refinished '65 jazzmaster for $800 including tax last summer here in pittsburgh. i had been thinking about buying a japanese reissue because i liked the neck (but the hardware sucked) then this appeared at our local used store. you sure can't beat it for quality. definate '60's fender mojo. it's lake placid blue w/a matching headstock. if you're interested in these guitars there's a jazzmaster forum at www.fenderforum.com.

now playing:
tara nevins: mule to ride
various sonic youth & pixies boots

finally i mentioned this off list to another lister. i've always figured tom would have been the perfect replacement for jerry garcia had the dead continued after his death. whenever i mention this to my deadhead friends they go "who is tom verlaine?" then i play them a johnny jewel from the blow up or oregon '78 & they usually get it right away. any thoughts?

sam