Re: (TV) OT: Earliest memory of rock

Wow. The first distinct song as such that I recall connecting with was Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay," which I now think is one of the lesser works. I remember hearing Simon and Garfunkel on the radio, as well. My father's more of a swing fan, so our childhood exposure to pop was largely through the radio. I do recall going through a phase of listening to the soundtrack of _South Pacific_, though. (Ain't that too damn bad?)

Sometime in young childhood (maybe 5 or 6, maybe a little older?) I started going to the nearby record shop (now long gone) and buying a few singles because I liked the labels. I remember buying "Love Gun" by Ike and Tina Turner, because I liked the thumbprint on the Blue Thumb label. I remember that, for some reason, when I listened to it the first time, Tina's vocals terrified me.

I recall seeing some network TV news item on the Pistols in '77, and loved the quotable couplet from "God Save the Queen." I was, sadly, rather too young to follow up on this. And had their original US tour plan gone through, their first US show would have been very close by, but there's no way I would have been permitted to go. (Probably a good thing their plans changed, or else I would have had some serious regrets.)

After that, I went through an intense Beatles phase (well after they broke up, of course), followed by a metal/prog phase, although I was attracted to anything weird, and got into the Residents then. By this time, my older sister was getting _Hit Parader_, _Circus_, and _Creem_, and my collision course with punk/new wave was inevitable. I've mentioned on the list before how I encountered TV as a result of someone else's religious conversion, so I'll just say that once that happened (late teens by this time), a lot of metal and prog records made their way to the used record shop.

And it's been uphill ever since.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/