Re: (TV) OT: Earliest memory of rock

From: Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) OT: Earliest memory of rock
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 21:11:31 -0400

At 12:39 AM +0000 8/2/01, Eric Veillette wrote:
So I grew up listening to a lot of ... Serge Gainsbourg,etc.

Oh, man.  I'm coming to Serge via Christian Marclay, believe it or
not.  Where should one begin with him?  Apparently there's this huge
reissue project going on...

Most of the stuff is being reissued, and a nice reissue project it is.
Among some of the reissues, I really like Comic Strip, as it has some Brigitte Bardot vocals on it (eric is going through this 'crush on brigitte bardot' phase... sorta similar to the 'crush on isabelle adjani' phase of 1998) but it has quite a few of his classic tunes. You could also go out and get the Melody Nelson album, which I really like.

Mick Harvey put out two albums of Gainsbourg covers. I have the second one, Pink Elephants, and well, it's ok. They're faithful reproductions, but doesn't realy add anything interesting.

Of course i hated c/w as a kid but I've learned to appreciate it
some more while growing up.

I'm in the same camp.  I had some serious problems with it, and I
still can't listen to slick Nashville stuff, but there's some fine
things in the country-tinged and alt-country area.

I've been enjoying alot of Merle Haggard this year.

Of course, there's always Hank III.

Or maybe I'm attracted to the Telecaster as a way of making up for
losing high frequencies over the years.

Ha! That's already happening to me:/