Re: (TV) OT: Earliest memory of rock

As the caboose child, I was subjected to the musical tastes of my brother (ten
years older) and, to a lesser extent, my sister (also older, but less
interested in music). Growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, this meant LOTS of
exposure to the Beatles, and by 1981, I was hooked. I remember playing my
brother's copies of the "Red" and "Blue" compilations endlessly in my parents'
living room and bringing a 45 of "Yellow Submarine" to 2nd grade. When I turned
8, I was given my first LP: a copy of RUBBER SOUL (the US version). The next
year (I think - it would have been 1983), for my birthday, I got 7" singles of
"Major Tom" by Peter Schilling and "Rock Around the Clock" b/w "Thirteen Women"
by Bill Haley (both of which I had requested).

At the same time, I also inherited a box of 45s from my siblings containing
random 70s stuff like ELO ("Don't Bring Me Down" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman" -
can't remember the b-sides), the Ozark Mountain Daredevils' "Jackie Blue",
Shocking Blue's "Venus", Terry Jacks, John Lennon's "#9 Dream" b/w "What You
Got" as well as "Starting Over", the Wings's "Getting Closer" b/w "Spin It On",
Shaun Cassidy(I don't think I ever actually played this!), etc.

--Philip