Re: (TV) Heated debates

At 9:00 PM +0100 5/31/02, Raymond wrote:
Pavement's trump card was always their sense of humour and they get my vote
every time just for pissing off that egotistical bald goon who sings with
the Smashing Pumpkins

A public service worth performing, true. (I can't recalll the story there, though.) Keep in mind, however, that C. Love has done the same thing. (Not that I'm putting SM in the same camp necessarily, but they *do* share that.)

Unfortunately Polvo (like Silkworm) are a bit too melodically dull tunewise

Eh, yes and no. Polvo can have some duller melodies, but they have some *great* vocal lines in the ouvre ("Tragic Carpet Ride," "Rock Post Rock," etc.), as does SKWM--you must admit that the latter's "Dead Air" is one of the all-time classic pop-rock miniatures. And "Cotton Girl," "Garden City Blues," "Couldn't You Wait," and all of Joel's contributions to their 1994 albums...

and overly cerebral in approach for my tastes

But combining cerebral pleasures with rock can (not inevitably, but it can) work wonders. I suppose it's all where one draws the line. (There's an argument over Wire's _154_ coming up; I can feel it.)

Maurice plus they neither
support or know anything about obscure english football teams unlike Mr M.

Things like that are important in bands no?

Well, you got me on the football references. But Silkworm references a lot of boxing, WWII trivia, and Godard films. You must give them that. SM's pirate tune seems quite forced in comparison. And they both have a sense of humor; it's just that Polvo's is intellectualized, and Silkworm's is deeply embittered, yet not inhumanly so.

And I'll also take issue with your comments about Jim O'Rourke, who was in my interaction with him a very nice guy, and who also managed to produce a fine laptopcore disc, _I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, and a 1,2,3,4_.

(After all, Ray, you came in here for an argument.  Or was it the abuse?)

Cheers,
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/