(TV) Romantic Advice for a Musical Maverick

In message <B2D7C52AFC38D61181940004763B1B0A0CD240@vntmail03.volpe.dot.g
ov>, Casey, Leo J <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> writes
>My closest friend has advised against me making and then sending her a
>a tape/compilation of TV/Television songs at this early stage as that
>could be fatal.

Fatal in what sense? She might 'get it' straight away. I mean, if you're
as obsessive about TV as most of us here seem to be, then it's going to
come out at some point, right? (or how are you going to explain the
ranks of filing cabinets stuffed full of TV minutae?).

I read an interesting article in MOJO a couple of months ago. A couple
of academics in Germany have done a study of compilation tapes and what
they 'mean'. Not surprisingly, they came to the conclusion that both the
compiler and the recipient take them very seriously and that men,
especially, use them to 'say' things about themselves that they might
otherwise find hard to reveal. Making a TV compilation tape says
something about you but it's something important about the way you look
at life, music, relationships etc., isn't it?

>This brings up the whole subject for those on MM List who are/were married or
>are/were in a (serious) relationship:  having strong preferences and great
>passion

When Tania and I had only known each other for a couple of weeks I said
to her, "How do you feel about Jimi Hendrix?" After a pause, she said,
"Why do I feel that this is an important question?" Well, it was 'cos an
ability to connect with Hendrix's music says something to me about a
person, especially someone who has never really listened much to the
man. Same with Television/Verlaine. Tania had never heard/heard of
either but as soon as she heard some she got it straight away. I think
there's more chance of connecting with someone who sees something as
non-mainstream as Television in the same way as you do (if not quite as
obsessively!)

>for music do/did you have to 'work extra hard' at not offending your
>wives'/girlfriends' musical tastes,

Sometimes, 'cos I'm far too opinionated and apt to sneer at something
rather than keep my mouth shut. Of course, this is because music is
_important_ - but it's important to her too so if you value someone then
you have to try to see what it is that they find in it. Works both ways.
I used to think that Dylan stopped being interesting around 1970; Tania
got into his music later than that and, by trying to shut up and listen,
I've come to love a lot of stuff I would have otherwise missed.

>and what is the secret of getting your
>beloved
>to put up with' your Television/TV predilections?

Dunno, never had to - I was 'lucky' because she sees it too. Mind you,
there are times when I have to try to remember that not even my wife
wants to spend an evening listening to one live TV recording after
another.