Re: (TV) Robert Fripp as member of Television?

I too have always admired Robert Fripp; it would have been very interesting,
but... fat chance.

> "... likes of Fripp and Tom Verlaine who are going to make truly new
music.
> because they've appreciated  their art's traditions, but are also capable
of
> perceiving and developing their own visions."

Though since the 70s I doubt that Fripp has been very successful in
perceiving and developing his own visions. I haven't heard all (or most) of
his collaborations but I was a bit disappointed by what I heard of the David
Sylvian work. And Sylvian has done a vast amount of fantastic music without
Fripp.

Maybe this is more on topic than you might think. When I attended the
Verlaine-Rip Music For Films show in Cortemaggiore, Italy in February 2001,
the music being played in the excellent venue before Tom and Jimmy came out
was David Sylvian, and very good it sounded too.

Sylvian is also to be admired in terms of reissues too: The two great albums
from his Japan days, Gentlemen Take Polaroids (1980) and Tin Drum (1981) are
now reissued with lots of extra tracks. Come to think, those two albums in
two years (from a hitherto rather ordinary band) was a spurt of creativity
matched by very few -- I can only think of Television (77/78), and the
Smiths producing about 30 pop masterpieces in the course of three years.
(Without going back to the 1960s, OK?)

As with Verlaine, there are many gems among Sylvian's solo albums. A good
compilation is "Everything & Nothing". He also has in common with Tom that
he works wonders with a limited voice.

--JoeT