Re: (TV) OT: Capt. Beefheart/magic band fans

Count me in as a Beefheart fan.

Keith wrote:
>  check out Lick
> My Decals Off Baby (if you can find it, don't think it's on CD but I
> could be wrong) and The Spotlight Kid

You can get The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot on one CD -- a great buy.

> For the second Magic Band, Doc At The Radar Station and Ice Cream For
> Crow will tingle your taste buds.

Don't forget Shiny Beast. Half of that album belongs in the highest class --
like the best of Television/Verlaine -- thrilling, groundbreaking, magical
rock music.

This reminds me of a retrospective Old Grey Whistle Test show screened on
BBC about two years ago. It was a compilation of performances from 1973/74.
Almost everything on the show was top class, including:

* Bob Marley & The Wailers -- young, dedicated, and pretty much unknown just
then -- doing "Concrete Jungle".

* The New York Dolls -- marvellous. (Morrissey's "first emotional
experience".)

* Tim Buckley, doing "Dolphins" -- a lovely Fred Neil song. It was his only
UK TV appearance, and maybe the only existing TV footage of the elder
Buckley. The quality of his performance was unmistakable. (I imagine Tom
Verlaine might have seen Tim Buckley performing in New York sometime.)

* Little Feat doing "Rock 'n' Roll Doctor".

* John Lennon specially filmed in New York, doing "Stand By Me", with asides
to Julian and the folks back home.

* AND Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band, doing "Upon The My Oh My". Kind of
a joke song but a great sound, and great to see them in the flesh. Don't
know who was in the band.

There was also the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and the Average White Band.

I remember it was a real thrill to happen upon this when it was broadcast,
and I had a blank videotape handy as well.

-- Joe T