Re: (TV) Boston Television Tickets Rant

Leo wrote:
> The Paradise also had mandatory 'cabaret seating that
> night--even all the way up to the foot of the stage.

There's so much that can go wrong about these concerts. I'm reminded of
Television's gigs in Dublin's Vicar Street venue in 2001 and 2002. In
general, the sound was pretty good, though Tom's voice did not make a great
impression. The big problem for me was that in 2002 they put tables and
chairs right up to the stage, whereas the previous year it was standing only
in front of the stage. That seemed to change the atmosphere for the worse,
and you'd notice between songs that some of those people in front of the
stage were too interested in their drinks and their loud conversations.
Other disappointments in 2002 were that they didn't play "1880 Or So", nor
"No Glamour for Willie" (which they did, memorably, the previous year), and
"Rhyme" was somehow unappealing.

... Whereas the 2001 show, their first appearance in Ireland, was a thrill
from beginning to end. Packed crowd standing in front of the stage, everyone
paying attention, etc.

On the other hand... I remember a great Pere Ubu concert in 1987 (I think)
in the Iron Horse (I think) in Northhampton, Mass, a lovely cosy venue,
where we were all seated at tables (rocking at times...), but everything
seemed to be right.

It would be interesting to hear the musicians' point of view.

--JoeT