Re: (TV) U-2 (Buy or No?) / Joshua the Place (Parsons)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:54:21 +0000
Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20041124063134.7755867d.jh@brainiac.com>, Joe Hartley
> <jh@brainiac.com> writes
> >But then, I think music's been pretty stagnant for the past 20 years.
>
> I'd almost have to agree with you Joe but then my son would bash me
> around the head with something hard if I failed to mention the shift
> which Nirvana brought about in the early '90s. I mean, I wouldn't want
> to hear much of it, but it's there.

Sorry, I just don't see a difference between Nirvana and many of the
late 70's bands.  I firmly believe that grunge was simply the teens of
the 90's rediscovering the power of loud guitars.

When I was in college in '79, I wore almost nothing but plaid flannel
shirts and ripped jeans most of the time.  (My roomate looked in my closet
one day and said "Oh, it *is* more than one shirt that you wear all the
time!")  I was listening to the Clash, XTC, Talking Heads, Television
and the like.  I felt disconnected with most of the world, had a fair
amount of undirected anger mixed with ennui, and had longish hair.

How was I _any_ different than your average teen grunger in '91?
How was Nirvana _any_ different than, say, Pere Ubu?
Your son wasn't there in the 70's, and may likely just be dismissing that
which came before.

I liked Nirvana, I just didn't think they broke any new ground, just
were that band to catalyze that time's disenfranchised youth.

(Young whippersnappers....)