(TV) This Will probably Just Throw Gasoline On the Fire[?] / Who Plays What When / Tom's vs Richard's Style

I totally agree with the head vs heart analogy.

But be careful:  a important distinction is that
I said Tom could play just as good a solo in that
same slot in the song (albeit most likely
different) but I never said he could or would
play the *same* solo that Richard chose or
would chose.

IMHO,Richard is probably more technically precise,
knows more about guitar theory, etc., whereas
Verlaine is more of a 'feel' player, and most
important (to me at least) his style involves
more improvisation---he never ever plays the
exact same solo twice--something you can't claim
about Richard. Whenever I go to NYC I always
make sure I catch both shows if they play on
consecutive nights, and on several of these
pairings of shows, Richard's solos, although
impressive, were almost exactly the same both
nights, whereas Tom's were very different.

But replication and exactness have their own
virtues---you're just about guaranteed to hear
great stuff from Richard on any given every night,
as you get solos that don't vary very much from
night to night (if at all), whereas with Tom it's
more risky--some nights his more improvisational
approach fails him---his inspiration or creativity or
magic is off that particular night for whatever
reason (woman troubles? someone plagiarized a line
from one of his songs, out of smokes :>)  ), but
despite that I much prefer his style for the very
reason he takes more risks and improvises a great
deal more than Richard.

I saw this recently (don't understand why I didn't
see it long time ago;  it was uncanny--it even
scared me a little because it seemed like the writer
could read my mind----in that it's exactly the way
I feel about some of Richard's live performances in
Television (Apologizes to the person Mr. J.,
who I'm stealing this from--(sue me!), and I have to
qualify it: the writer was talking about just one
specific show):

"Consider the style of Lloyd's guitar playing in contrast
to Verlaine's; before there was a telepathy between them
which often seems missing here. It's now a band with two
great guitarists with very different approaches and
fifteen[written for 1992] years of history of doing
very different things. Whereas in the past the contrast
in their styles often resulted in a tension that produced
some unexpected wonders, here there is an air
of... politeness, if you like, as if they were
trying to avoid stepping on each others' toes."

"...But, just to get my main problem out of the way,
1880 or So is a perfect example of what I mean. Lloyd
and Verlaine both take solos; Verlaine's ****fits in with
the tone of the song and Lloyd's just doesn't - it's a
great "rock" guitar solo but it sounds like Richard Lloyd
guesting at a Tom Verlaine concert. Again, in "Beauty
Trip", there's a Lloyd solo which is, in the end, just too
predictable; there's nothing wrong with it - in fact
a great heavy metal guitar solo - but it just doesn't
seem to belong....." *****

By the way, who ever equated faster with quality---- by
that yardstick Alvin Lee or Van Halen would be tops!
And besides, who says Verlaine can't play fast (if he
wanted to)? IMHO, he's more concerned and interested in
nuance, emotional effect; will he be able to negotiate
his high wire act without a net; will he be able to
successfully extricate himself from a potential dead-end
[e.g., listen to the ending solo on Dreamtime's
"Without A Word", albeit not live]; can he pull-off
something different and creative; whether the tone
or essence of a solo is appropriate or fits the
song-----but not in Olympian showing off with
sheer speed.  I'm not claiming Tom is explicitly
thinking analyzing any of this as he's playing.
Richard is more mechanical an incredible, well oiled,
impressive machine [not meant as a putdown]; Tom's
playing is more out of 'left field' .

Moreover, rgarding: 'faster': listen to 'Live at The
Academy, Dec. 4, 1992', on "1880 Or So" he's
like freakin' Ravi Shankar on methedrine!; or listen to
1987 April 26[?], at The Ritz for his super sped-up,
mad 4-minute dash on the end of Glory, or better yet,
what about those versions of MM Richard and he did a
lot of in 2004-2005---the rave-up, frenzied, version
(the ones with lots of false endings)?

I don't want to insult anyone, least of all Richard's
playing.  We're not going to change anyone's opinion on
who's a better player, who can play what that the other
guy can't, etc.,  It's all subjective. It's all a matter
of taste; it's all about what you prefer. (Although I've
always found that somewhat troubling, in the sense that
from that it necessarily follows that The Eagles are
just as good a band as Television.)
	Leo

PS: Just for the record though--IMHO, I believe Tom could
replicate note for note any solo Richard does/did (at
whatever speed you choose (as long as it's not before 2pm).
But that's not Verlaine, he' be bored to death with that;
he'd think, so what, what's the point?. (Ut oH! maybe I
should have said that in private?)