(TV) Here we go again :>) / Slippery / Qualify / I Overstated

Very on Topic, but may be of interest to only a few:

Mike Ehritz writes

Keith wrote:
>Nor do I, I didn't see and haven't heard any
>evidence of it.

That's because, I made it all up.  I actually only
attended one Verlaine show in the 1980s (and I left
that one early).

I think we're right back were we started--but now
instead of arguing about which parts/solos Richard
and Tom actually played live, we're arguing about
Ripp's and Tom's parts. I really didn't think I
wanted to go through that all over again.

But here goes. :>) First and most important (I'm
pessimistic that anyone will but), I plead with you
to *reread* (or at least glance at) at the 2
paragraphs Rex wrote Tues. [a snippet: "....there
could be two meanings to one guitarist playing the
other's 'part ..."]. (I've copied and pasted
both of his paragraphs at the end of this e-mail.]

The gist of his post is how tricky and slippery all
of this is, the many sources of potential confusion
in determining who played what.  There's nothing
magical or earthshaking about what Rex wrote, but
IMHO, it's a necessary framework for any
*meaningful* discussion of the question.

So how's this as a restatement or qualification [or
total recanting/cave-in?] of my original 'claim':

At the shows I attended in the 1980s, in about
65-70% of the songs Tom would have Ripp play the
***main** parts. By that I mean, when they were
both playing simultaneously or non-simultaneously
(and a moderately long solo or a long solo was
NOT occurring), Ripp, would *more often than not*
be playing the main part, i.e., the part with the
dominant/primary melody---the strongest element(s)
that defines the song---and Tom would sing and play
what, IMHO, would more accurately be described
as the secondary part/riff.

And some of this Ripp main/'dominant' stuff might
even be loosely[?] categorized as a short/compact
solo----analogous to the compact solos and riffs
Tom puts all over his first 3 records, by double
(or triple or quadrupling) tracking the guitar.

Ripp exceptions [and my qualifications]:
'Penetration', 'Prove It', 'Glory' and, of
course, MM.

Moreover, whenever it was a song that did end
with a long solo (or a long solo in the middle)
Tom would do it.  ****But even in these cases,
there were some exceptions: Best example
(and my strongest piece of 'evidence' :>)
Sometimes on 'Always', Ripp would take
the song to it's finish by playing the solo
that plays during the repeats of the lines:

...the best kept secret in town,
the best kept secret in town ...
the best kept secret in town ...
the best kept secret in town ..
..Always...
Always ....
Always ...
Always...
Always..

>My second question was, is this less known
>because fewer boots of the Ripp-heavy shows
>have circulated (maybe because they weren't as good or
>essential and have therefore languished in obscurity)?

It's too bad there doesn't exist any recordings of
live performances of Verlaine or Television (except
for the official "Live At The Old Waldorf", and the
"Live At The Academy" releases; otherwise, I'd ask
you to listen to the Verlaine shows at which he
played 'Always'.  If you were able to listen to
these you would hear (on some, not all) Ripp
playing a solo at the end of the song.
***There's no way this could be Tom, the tone
(and the tremolo[?]), and the signature sound
of the guitar are all totally alien to anything
we've ever heard Tom play.

Other 'evidence in ascending order of strength
(lower is stronger):

a) Ms Secret X (unfortunately she's not
available to testify);

b) Richard Lloyd's recent e-mail (in the sense that
it shows it's not impossible that what I'm claiming
is true;

c) My eyes [watching both guitarists' fingers in
action, often from less than 10 feet away, my ears,
and my perfect :>) recollections of the shows;

d) The comments (and eyes and ears) of y musician
friends---esp. the guitar players---who attended
non-NYC shows with me;

****e) eht deirrac yawa sgnidrocer

Rex wrote:
One: part as in "role":  during this section Tom
plays the lead "part" and Richard plays the rhythm
"part".  Basically, Tom's playing some notes and RL
is playing some chords.  Almost doesn't matter which
notes Tom's playing or what voicings Richard's using
as long as it's within the chord structure
(and even that might be debateable).  Thus: if Tom
took the solo on "See No Evil" he would be playing
Richard's "part" but nobody would expect it to
sound like Richard's solo on the album.

Two: part as in "written riff or melody line", etc.
Meaning that Tom would be specifically playing the
notes originally or usually played by Richard
during that portion of the song, or vice versa.
Of course neither of them ever plays anything
exactly the same.  Some parts are more like riffs
or melodic figures, though, as on most of "Call
Mr. Lee".  So if Richard played "deedly - dee
dee - deee" and Tom answered with " ba dow da
dow dow dowwww", they would be playing each
other's parts (but both playing "lead" parts).
You can see how slippery this gets.  If Richard
then played the first "solo" it could sound
different from Tom's without it being noticed;
however,Richard's playout solo is so genetically
similar to his "written" leads on the chorus that
if Tom played it he would be obliged to not only
play Richard's "part/role" (lead guitar) but also
to incorporate some of the melodic content of
Richard's "part/written riff/melody line".  And
again,the slipperiness of the roles is one of
the reasons we love this band.