Re: (TV) OT: The movies/music our parents did/didn't turn us onto

In message <000b01c5fff7$21437080$854473c6@PNWWM>, Ty Burr <tyburr@mindspring.com> writes
Would be really curious to hear other group-member's tales of parental culture-brainwashing and their reactions pro and con.

Well, my son grew up with the stuff I love, of course. I remember when he was about 4 we were driving home together from somewhere in the early evening and he looked out of the window, pointed up at the sky and said, "Look Daddy, mackie moon!" (this was also the name of my design business at the time - I only steal from the best). He and I used to go to the cinema together a lot and now he's studying Film Studies as one of his A Levels. I'm glad to say that he's never been frightened of a black and white film.

I took him up to London to see Television last year and he whipped out his mobile phone to record Richard's solo in Mr Lee, and said, "That was pretty good!" Of course, he'd rather go and see System Of A Down.

He always seems startled (and reluctantly impressed) when one of the bands he likes mentions an "old" band that they were influenced by and he finds one of their records in my collection. And "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" on a Nirvana album led him to Leadbelly.

The thing you have to avoid, of course, is hear something they're listening to and say, "This is crap" because a) it's not and b) that's what they expect you to say.

I distinctly remember getting the first Roxy Music album when it came out and listening to it while I was eating dinner, and my mother just carried on as if it wasn't playing.