RE: (TV) more Newsom

Not to be pretentious here, but I think it helps to have an appreciation of
20th century classical music, jazz, and certain African harp traditions to get
into Joanna Newsom. Her voice is evolving, as she admits, but her harp playing
is extremely sophisticated and radical, and she's trying to sing melodies that
fit the harp parts. Jessye Norman or Cassandra Wilson could sing these parts
and make them stunning. Ronan Tynan could sing Tom Verlaine songs and make
them stunning, too. The point is, that's not the point. JN's music is
incredible, and if you think Van Dyke Parks, Steve Albini, and Jim O'Rourke
have their heads up their respective asses, you need to upgrade your ears.

-Jim K.