Re: (TV) Top CDs of 2006

On 2/5/07, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 14) Cold War Kids, "Robbers & Cowards"
>
> haven't heard the record, but saw them live opening
> for two gallants -- just fab, fab fun.  catch 'em live
> if you can.
>

> > 1) The Slits
>
> mostly missed 'em back in the day, but renewed my
> interest when they reunited and toured this year.  not
> only have loved listening to "cut" over and over, but
> saw them live and truly enjoyed it.  they were really
> together, songs were great, and ari was a great
> entertainer.  caveat -- the guitarists were just awful
> (one was awful -- i don't think the other was plugged
> in, probably 'cause she was worse).  but -- that just
> made it more authentic!  if they were all seasoned
> musicians it woulda killed the concept.

My interest in them was just exploding as the reunion tour happened, so I
hope they come 'round again.  Interesting take on the guitarist(?)s; I think
a lot of Ari's mandate in putting the band together was to keep it in the
family.  As to the original guitar work, it's a little hard to make out what
Viv Albertine was up to; her stuff on the albums is fascinatingly bizarre,
but one the live videos I've seen she seems not to be playing half the time
(but, it must be said, looking very, very good not doing so).  I guess she's
a filmmaker now...

-Rex