Re: (TV) Rainy Day / Soul Food Chitlins

On 3/21/07, Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe that Bell only released one 7" during his lifetime -- the
> rest of the Bell CD is made up of outtakes, alternates, etc., but it
> is fairly interesting. I remember the production sort of bugging me,
> but it's been so long since I listened to it that now I can't
> remember why...

The production kinda points the way towards some things that'd become
annoying later in the '70's, particularly those odd
phased-but-not-psychedelically-so guitars and some of the vocal treastments,
but at that nascent stage they actually sound really good to me.  It's
really a continuation of that early Big Star sound... some people call it
quintessential power pop, but I actually find it quite a bit more nuanced
than most of the records that would later be classified that way.

A friend once pointed out that "I am the Cosmos" sounds a lot like
> the great lost George Harrison track (ALL THINGS MUST PASS-era).

Good comparison, for sure.  Of course I didn't hear "All Things" in whole
until many years after I'd absorbed the Bell compilation.  I do a lot of
things backwards like that.

-Rex